As a reminder Bishop Ranch Veterinary Center & Urgent Care will be open on Saturday December 31st from 8am to 8pm. However, we will be closed this Sunday, January 1st for the holiday. Normal business hours will resume on Monday January 2nd at 7am. If your pet is in need of emergency care on New Year's Day, please call Contra Costa Veterinary Emergency Center at 925-798-2900. If you need to check on a pet that is staying with us, we will be checking our voice mail so please feel free to call anytime at 925-866-8387!
Also, if your pet is on medication and you are running low, call and order your refill today or before 4pm tomorrow! We will not be filling medications on New Year's Day, and all requests made after 4pm on Saturday December 31st will not be ready until after 12 noon on Monday January 2nd.
Last, but certainly not least, here is a list of New Year's Eve pet safety tips:
- Make sure all of your pets are wearing collars with proper ID tags. Make sure the information is current. You can also have them microchipped, it is a quick technician appointment that usually takes less than half an hour. But even with a microchip, ID tags are essential.
- Give your pets plenty of exercise before the festivities begin. Make sure they are fed and have had a potty break too. This may help them sleep through a party instead of being stressed.
- Prepare a safe room in your house for your pet. Provide a blanket and bed for them to burrow in, along with food, water, and a litter box if appropriate. You may want to leave a TV on or some music to help block out stress inducing noises. KEEP THIS DOOR CLOSED AT ALL TIMES. Put a sign on the door so that guests know not to open it.
- Check that all fences and gates in the back yard are closed and securely locked.
- Keep garbage cans securely closed to prevent your pet from eating anything it shouldn't.
- Try to avoid coddling or comforting your pet when its agitated since this can reinforce the behavior. It is best to give them a safe room full of comforting items where they can hide from the activities.