Monday, August 1, 2011

Monday Pet Tip: Xylitol

Warning: Products containing Xylitol can be deadly.  

Xylitol is a sugar alcohol used as a sweetener in products like gum, mints, chewable vitamins, and baked goods. This sugar substitute has been discovered to cause life-threatening liver disease in dogs. As little as one stick of gum can be deadly for a 10 pound dog.

Symptoms typically begin within 30 minutes, but can occur anytime within 3 days after ingestion. Symptoms include vomiting, lethargy, weakness, diarrhea, collapse, and possible seizures.

What should you do if your pet ingests Xylitol?
If you think your pet has ingested Xylitol, call the ASPCA's  Poison Control Center at 1-888-426-4435 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting            1-888-426-4435      end_of_the_skype_highlighting, and have your pet examined by a veterinarian immediately. The more quickly they are treated, the better chance they have at survival.

For a more extensive look at Xylitol poisoning, click here.
To visit the manufacture's website, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment